Now Playing
STAR 94.5
Last Song Played
Orlando's Only R&B
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
STAR 94.5
Last Song Played
Orlando's Only R&B

national govt & politics

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

North Carolina city councilwoman's tweet comparing police to terrorists sparks outrage

Several police officers have contacted WSOC-TV in Charlotte, North Carolina, because they are upset about a tweet from Charlotte City Councilwoman Lawana Mayfield.

>> Watch the news report here

The tweet was posted in March, but it’s getting more attention during National Police Week.

>> On WSOCTV.com: City councilwoman won't resign after Facebook post questioning 9/11

"Being black in America under number 45 has created homegrown terrorist wearing blue uniforms," the tweet read.

>> See the tweet here

The tweet came after an officer-involved shooting in Sacramento, California.

An officer shot and killed an unarmed black man while responding to a call about break-ins.

>> Read more trending news 

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department officers said the tweet from Mayfield was inappropriate especially as they are asking the City Council for a pay raise and are trying to recruit more officers.

Mayfield has been criticized for social media posts in the past.

Last month, she shared an article about a conspiracy theory about the 9/11 terrorist attack.

A petition called for her to resign, but she said the post was taken out of context.

Cheesecake Factory: Employees accused of harassing Trump supporter for MAGA hat no longer employed

The Cheesecake Factory says it has suspended a group of employees accused of harassing a customer who wore a "Make America Great Again" hat to one of the company's Miami restaurants.

According to WFOR-TV, Eugene Joseph, 22, said employees at the chain's Dadeland Mall location taunted and threatened him on Mother's Day when they saw his hat bearing President Donald Trump's campaign slogan. 

Joseph, who was at the restaurant with his girlfriend and her family, told WFOR that staffers made insulting comments and tried to intimidate him, saying they'd hit him and knock off his cap. 

>> Read more trending news 

One guest at the table "felt uneasy due to several employees gathering around her table and cracking their knuckles," a Miami-Dade police report said, later adding that "no threats were made and no physical altercation occurred," WFOR reported.

The restaurant chain issued an apology after Joseph's story, initially reported by the Daily Wire, went viral.

"No guest should ever feel unwelcome in one of our restaurants and we are taking this matter very seriously," the statement read. "Upon learning of this incident, we immediately apologized to the guests in person. The individuals involved have been suspended pending the results of our investigation."

>> See the tweet here

Joseph told WFOR that the Cheesecake Factory has not apologized to him personally.

After the suspension, The Cheescake Factory announced that the two employees who made the comments are no longer employed by the company.

It released the following statement from Alethea Row, the restaurant chain’s senior director of Public Relations:

“We were very disappointed to learn that two staff members made disparaging remarks about Mr. Joseph’s hat that made him and his family feel unwelcome. As a result, as of Tuesday those two individuals are no longer employed with the company. No guest should ever feel unwelcome in one of our restaurants and we are very sorry. Our investigation is ongoing and we have reached out to Mr. Joseph directly to ask for his assistance. We are taking this situation seriously, however, not all of the information reported by the media accurately portrays what occurred. The situation may have been exacerbated by an all-staff meeting that took place during our shift change between our staff members working the lunch and dinner shifts – which may have been perceived as a crowd gathering near the guests’ tables. We look forward to speaking with Mr. Joseph to welcome him back into one of our restaurants.”

Read more here.

'Melania' rises in popularity as name for baby girls

Could Melania someday join the likes of Emma and Olivia as one of the top 10 baby names for girls in the U.S.?

>> PHOTOS: Melania Trump through the years

According to the Social Security Administration, Melania saw a dramatic increase in popularity last year, rising from the 1,650th most popular girls' name in 2016 to 930th in 2017. The 720-spot rise in rank was the fifth-largest increase among girls' names last year, falling behind Ensley, Oaklynn, Dream and Oaklyn.

The Associated Press said the surge is "likely influenced by first lady Melania Trump."

>> Read more trending news 

The top 10 baby girls' names in 2017 were Emma, Olivia, Ava, Isabella, Sophia, Mia, Charlotte, Amelia, Evelyn and Abigail, the SSA reported. Meanwhile, Liam topped the list for baby boys, followed by Noah, William, James, Logan, Benjamin, Mason, Elijah, Oliver and Jacob.

Read more here and here.

Donald Trump to meet with Kim Jong Un in June

President Donald Trump announced Thursday that a historic meeting between him and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un will take place in Singapore on June 12.

“We will both try to make it a very special moment for World Peace!” Trump wrote in a tweet posted Thursday morning.

The president made the announcement days after saying that a time and place had been agreed to by American and North Korean officials.

>> South Korean president says Trump should win Nobel Peace Prize

Trump previously said he wanted to hold the meeting with Kim at the Demilitarized Zone between North and South Korea, but Singapore was favored by most of the president’s advisers, The Associated Press reported.

Earlier Thursday, three Americans were welcomed at Maryland's Joint Base Andrews after being detained in North Korea for more than a year each.

>> WATCH: Trump welcomes 3 Americans detained in North Korea back to U.S. 

Kim Dong Chul, Kim Hak Song and Tony Kim arrived in the U.S. around 2 a.m.

Original report: President Donald Trump said Friday that officials from the U.S. and North Korea have agreed to a time and a place for a historical summit between the two nations during which officials expect to hammer out a plan for denuclearization of the Korean peninsula.

>> Read more trending news

“The trip is being scheduled,” Trump said. “We now have a date and a location. We’ll be announcing it shortly.”

The president declined to discuss at length reports that North Korean officials planned the pre-summit release of three Americans detained in the country for years. Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani told Fox News earlier this week that North Korean officials would be releasing three Americans on Thursday, although officials did not confirm their release.

>> North Korea releasing 3 American prisoners, Giuliani says

“We’re having very substantive talks with North Korea and a lot of things have already happened with respect to the hostages,” Trump said. “I think you’re going to be seeing very, very good things.”

Mike Pompeo met with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un last month before he was sworn in on April 26 to serve as secretary of state.

>> President Trump confirms via Tweet summit with North Korea

“(The) meeting went very smoothly and a good relationship was formed,” Trump wrote April 18 in a Twitter post. “Details of (the) Summit are being worked out now. Denuclearization will be a great thing for (the) World, but also for North Korea!”

Pompeo's meeting was the first high-level meeting with Pyongyang since 2000 when then-Secretary of State Madeline Albright met with Kim’s father, Kkim Jong Il, The Washington Post reported.

WATCH: Trump welcomes 3 Americans detained in North Korea back to U.S.

Three Americans detained for more than a year in North Korea were welcomed back to the United States by President Donald Trump, first lady Melania Trump and other members of the administration at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland early Thursday.

>> MORE: PHOTOS: Trump welcomes 3 Americans detained in North Korea back to U.S. I Trump: 3 Americans released by North Korea | More trending news 

The detainees, identified by The Associated Press as Kim Dong Chul, Kim Hak Song and Tony Kim, reportedly were released Wednesday.

After Trump and the detainees briefly spoke to members of the media, the men were taken to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center for treatment, the AP reported.

>> Watch a video of their arrival

Here are the latest updates from the scene:

Update 6:07 a.m. EDT Thursday: President Donald Trump took to Twitter to share a video showing clips from his meeting with three Americans who returned to the U.S. early Thursday after being detained in North Korea.

“On behalf of the American people, WELCOME HOME!” Trump tweeted.

>> Watch the video here

Earlier Thursday, Vice President Mike Pence also tweeted about the detainees’ return.

“Great day to be an American! Because of @POTUS Trump’s strong leadership, tonight we welcomed home three Americans from captivity in North Korea. Honored to be there to say Welcome Home! #GodblessAmerica,” Pence wrote.

>> See the tweet here

Update 3:02 a.m. EDT Thursday: The three freed detainees have exited the plane with President Donald Trump and the first lady. 

“This is a very special night for these really great people,” Trump said to members of the press at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, adding that he “very much appreciates” that North Korea released them.

Trump continued: “I’m very honored to have helped these three folks. They’ve been through a lot. The true honor is going to be if we have a victory in getting rid of nuclear weapons.”

When one detainee was asked how it felt to be back in America, he said, “It’s like a dream.”

Update 2:57 a.m. EDT Thursday: President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump have boarded the plane to speak with the detainees freed by North Korea.

Update 2:44 a.m. EDT Thursday: The plane carrying the American detainees has arrived at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland.

Update 2:37 a.m. EDT Thursday: The plane carrying Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has landed at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland.

Update 2:23 a.m. EDT Thursday: President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump have arrived at Joint Base Andrews.

Photos: Trump welcomes 3 Americans detained in North Korea back to U.S.

Staging a flag-waving, still-of-the-night arrival ceremony, President Donald Trump early Thursday welcomed home three Americans freed by North Korea and declared their release a sign of promise toward his goal of de-nuclearizing the Korean Peninsula.

Trump: 3 Americans released by North Korea

Three Americans were headed home Wednesday after each spending more than a year detained by officials in North Korea, President Donald Trump confirmed in a tweet.

>> Read more trending news

“I am pleased to inform you that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is in the air and on his way back from North Korea with the 3 wonderful gentlemen that everyone is looking so forward to meeting,” Trump wrote Wednesday morning. “They seem to be in good health.”

Trump said Pompeo and the Americans, previously identified as Kim Hak-song, Tony Kim and Kim Dong-chul, will land at Andrews Air Force Base around 2 a.m. Thursday.

>> Related: North Korea releasing 3 American prisoners, Giuliani says

"I will be there to greet them," Trump wrote. "Very exciting!"

The men appeared to be in good condition Wednesday and did not need help to get onto a plane bound for the U.S., White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Wednesday in a statement.

>> Related: South Korean president says Trump should win Nobel Peace Prize

“President Trump appreciates leaders Kim Jong Un's action to release these American citizens, and views this as a positive gesture of goodwill,” she said. “All Americans look forward to welcoming them home and to seeing them reunited with their loved ones.”

The president hinted last week that work was being done to secure the Americans’ release and his personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani told Fox News the release was imminent. However, White House officials declined to elaborate on or confirm the statements.

>> Related: North Korea: What you should know about the country and its people

“This is a proud and memorable moment for America,” Vice President Mike Pence said Wednesday.

CNN reported that Kim Dong-chul was detained in 2015 in North Korea on suspicion of spying for South Korea. Tony Kim was detained in April 2017 and Kim Hak-song was detained in May 2017, CNN reported. Both men, who worked at the privately run Pyongyang University of Science and Technology, were accused of committing "hostile acts" against Kim Jong Un's regime.

>> Related: Trump: US, North Korea agree to date, place for summit

In a statement obtained by The Wall Street Journal, the family of Tony Kim said they were “very grateful for the release of our husband and father, Tony Kim, and the other two American detainees.”

“We want to thank all of those who have worked toward and contributed to his return home,” the statement said. We also want to thank the President for engaging directly with North Korea. Mostly, we want to thank God for Tony's safe return. We appreciate all of the support and prayers of friends and even strangers during this challenging year. You are dear to our hearts. We ask that you continue to pray for the people of North Korea and for the release of all who are still being held.”

>> Related: President Trump confirms via Tweet summit with North Korea

Pompeo met with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un last month before he was sworn in on April 26 to serve as secretary of state, Trump confirmed last month on Twitter. Pompeo's meeting was the first high-level meeting with Pyongyang since 2000 when then-Secretary of State Madeline Albright met with Kim’s father, Kim Jong Il, The Washington Post reported.

Check back for updates to this developing story.

Trump's NRA speech criticized by French officials

Government officials in France and Britain criticized a portion of President Donald Trump’s speech to the National Rifle Association that suggested more lenient gun laws could have prevented deadly attacks in Paris in 2015, Reuters reported.

>> Read more trending news

During his speech to the NRA on Friday, Trump said that if civilians had been armed in Paris, “it would have been a whole different story.”

French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire told BFM television Sunday that he hoped Trump “would express regret,” Reuters reported.

“His comments are shocking and not worthy of the president of the world’s greatest superpower,” Le Maire told the station.

In a statement, the French foreign office expressed its “firm disapproval” of Trump’s comments.

“(We demand) that the memory of the victims be respected,” the foreign office said. “France is proud to be a country where acquiring and carrying firearms is strictly regulated.”

During his speech, Trump acted out the scene of the Nov. 13, 2015, attack, when 90 of the 130 victims died.

“They took their time and gunned them down one by one. Boom! Come over here. Boom! Come over here. Boom!,” Trump said, using his hands in a gun gesture.

Francois Hollande, who was president of France in 2015, said on Twitter that Trump’s remarks were “shameful” and “obscene.”

John McCain's confidantes say Trump won't be invited to his funeral, reports say

Confidantes of Republican Sen. John McCain, whose health has been waning since his brain cancer diagnosis last year, say President Donald Trump will not be invited to his funeral, multiple news outlets are reporting.

>> Sen. John McCain in stable condition after surgery for intestinal infection

The New York Times reported Saturday that McCain's "intimates have informed the White House that their current plan for his funeral is for Vice President Mike Pence to attend the service to be held in Washington’s National Cathedral but not President Trump, with whom Mr. McCain has had a rocky relationship."

>> Read more trending news 

Later Saturday, NBC News published a similar report, claiming that McCain, 81, "does not want" Trump at the service. 

>> Sen. John McCain diagnosed with brain cancer, statement says

Two former presidents, George W. Bush and Barack Obama, are planning to speak at the memorial, NBC News reported.

Read more here or here.

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >